7/30/2006

Queen Anne Hill, Seattle, Washington

I just got back from a trip to Seattle for my boyfriend's dad's 80th birthday. We stayed in Queen Anne. Here are some snapshots selected from a two-hour walk around the neighborhood with an eye toward garden/landscape interest.

All the traffic circles have lovely plantings.

QA1

QA2

Are those the best containers for Phormium tenax? Probably not. But when everything is so luscious and summery, it hardly matters.

QA3

These people deserve some kind of prize.

UPDATE: Thumbing through an old issue of Pacific Horticulture (2002, Vol 63, No. 1), I find this garden featured on the cover! The article credits Glen Withey and Charles Price with the design.

QA4

QA6

QA7

QA8

I had this dahlia last year. I know. That dahlia is so last year.

QA5

QA9

Block after block of beautiful trees.

QA10

QA11

These huge rocks figure prominently in the Seattle's residential hardscape. I wonder what their story is.

QA12

QA13

A protest march sign cum landscape element.

QA14

QA15

QA16

QA34

QA31

QA30

QA29

QA28

Those radio towers in the background loom over the whole neighborhood.

QA27

QA26

QA25

QA24

Cytisus scoparius, the dreadful Scotch Broom. It's naturalized around in and around Seattle. In California, we worry more about Cytisus monspesulanus.

QA23

Buddleja.

QA22

QA21

QA20

QA19

Conifer orgy.

QA18

QA17

Araucaria.

QA35

QA36

QA38

QA39

A lot of Seattlites use this Yucca. I like it best massed like this.

QA40

QA41

I'm happy when people let their lawns go. Good! Now, go ahead and plant something real there.

QA42

I love the juxtaposition of conifer, succulent, and fern.

QA43

Three planting elements are all you need. Baby bear, mama bear, and daddy bear.

QA44

Really nice color combinations.

QA45

QA46

QA47

Apple espalier.

QA51

I saw very little garden sculpture. This was practically it.

QA52

***

More coming soon, including my trip to the Bloedel Reserve.

A walk around my neighborhood here.

No comments: