8/13/2006

Back from a week in Provincetown, Mass

A lone (humpback?) whale visiting with the ferry on the way to Provincetown, Massachusetts. Early August. We had its attention for about ten minutes. I wish I'd taken a movie instead of stills, but I didn't think of it.

whale two

whale four

whale one

whale three

whale five

whale six

I didn't take as many pictures of my vacation as I thought I did. We did something photographable every day, but I didn't bring my camera with me, and I didn't take any pictures in Provincetown itself, or of any gardens. (Ptown front yard gardens have very uniform vegetation in the summer: coleus, hydrangea, lilly, and privet were everywhere, and lots of humungous hosta. I also saw one nice Amaranthus caudatus and two big Hydrangea petiolaris which were cool.)

This is the place we rented:

house one

house two

house three

house four

The books I brought with me to read:

vacation reading

(I like to read many short books on vacation as opposed to fewer, longer books. I also like to reread favorites, like Lot 49 and Demian. That Carl Sagan book was good, but spent too much time dealing with UFO abductees.)

We walked a mile-long promontory out to the dunes and beach.

provincetown one

ptown two

ptown dunes one

ptown dunes two

This native beach rose was everywhere. Elsewhere, I saw it make big, bright red hips that I neglected to photograph.

ptown dunes three

ptown dunes four

Some friends came over and one night we got very drunk and played Uno. I won.

vacation games

No comments: