9/08/2006

In the cactus house at the entrance to the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden:

Pachypodium lamerei.
Pachypodium lamerei
(They must know people will want to photograph this amazing specimen. Is a moment's consideration to move the other plants out of the way asking for too much?)

They keep some behind bars.
behind bars

Welwitschia mirabilis. What does this remind you of? Anything come to mind? Hmmm? Apparently, they get much bigger.
Welwitschia mirabilis

On the other hand, here's a picture of Echinopsis terscheckii. I call it "E. terscheckii and I"
Echinopsis terscheckii and I

Aeonium balsamiferum. This plant, just sitting there without a flower, smells wonderful. And so I was confronted with one of the few moments in my adult life when I've felt a strong urge to steal something. If I broke off just a little piece of this plant--just one little stem--I could have a whole shrub of it by next summer. Noone would ever know and it would be so nice on my deck in a big pot, fragrant in the summer sun. Alas, I would never do that. Seriously. I wouldn't. Too bad they weren't selling it in the little garden store. Sigh.
Aeonium balsamiferum

Instead, I bought this Lachenalia 'Rupert' for $7. And, look, someone sells A. balsamiferum here for a mere $3 plus S&H, and they take PayPal. And all I had to do was do a Google search on Aeonium balsamiferum. Gotta love the modern world.
get name

In the California garden...

Vitis californica 'Roger's Red'. California wild grape makes beautiful red in the fall. The colors are just starting to change.

Vitis 1

Vitis 2

Vitis 4

Here's the trunk of the Vitis growing up into the tree.
Vitis trunk

Oaks.
Oaks

Okay, more oaks...
more oaks

And here's an oak support. I've never seen this before. Very nice.
Oak support 1

Oak support 2

Sorry it's slightly blurry.
Oak support 3

Coreopsis gigantea in its famously ugly summer dormancy. Still looks interesting. This plant is native to the islands of the coast of southern California. What's the gardener's epigram about a plant not needing to be pretty in bloom if it dies interestingly?

C gigantea dormant

C gigantea dormant 1

C gigantea dormant 2

C gigantea dormant 3

Last hort post here.

No comments: