10/10/2006

A poignant moment for those who have followed Ms. Streisand’s career from the beginning was her rendition of (“Have I Stayed) Too Long at the Fair?” a Billy Barnes ballad that she recorded in 1964. Way back then, it was the reflection of an insecure ingénue feeling her first intimations of ennui after too much partying.


That's from the New York Times review of a Barbra Streisand concert. Do you think the open quote for the song title belongs inside the open paranthese? I would have put it outside.

I'm no grammarian, but I tend to notice things like that and wonder.

Another grammar post here.

1 comment:

Annie in Austin said...

I agree that you're right, Chuck. Those words are part of the title. I make plenty of errors, but I do try to make good choices, even for blogging.

Did you ever read the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves?
I think you're supposed to underline titles, but I only know how to make the words bold.

I'm going back to your pictures!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose