3/30/2007

Spring fever

I just could not stay at work today. So I left at two.

Here we are in the community garden on the other side of my neighborhood.

IMG_8354

Well, technically I guess that means we're in a different neighborhood. It's still called Bernal Heights, but this is in the northeast side. Northeast Bernal Heights. We might as well be in a different neighborhood.

Bernal has four community gardens that I can think of, but only two are picture-worthy. And, frankly, while this one is more established and more people garden here, mine is better. (It just is.)

Getting on with things, we have another Echium. This is Echium piniana. You see lots of Echium on this blog because there is lots of Echium in San Francisco.

IMG_8331

IMG_8335

(Who are they trying to convince?)

Always a popular sign in San Francisco:

IMG_8340

This community garden has much better stairs than mine! Not fair. Someone here must have better connections in City Hall.

IMG_8338

It's the time of year for calla and euphorbia.

IMG_8342 IMG_8347

This garden demonstrates just how much you can grow in part-shade. Most of this garden is quite shady.

IMG_8345

IMG_8357

IMG_8360

Funny, my tulips haven't even begun, but these are very nearly over.

IMG_8358

I love legume flowers.

IMG_8374

The garden story of 2007, bees!

IMG_8371

A bee movie.



Okay, I'm bored. Let's see the neighborhood.

IMG_8375

Um, okay.

IMG_8378 IMG_8379

IMG_8380

This one looks like metal.

IMG_8383

Lots of public stairs over here.

IMG_8384

IMG_8388

IMG_8387

IMG_8392

They knock down a lot of old houses on this side of the hill and put up these.

IMG_8395

What do you think about that?

IMG_8396

IMG_8399

IMG_8398

IMG_8404

IMG_8408

I think this is beautiful:

IMG_8409

IMG_8410

IMG_8411

IMG_8414

IMG_8418

IMG_8420

Acanthus and fennel.

IMG_8417

IMG_8422

It not San Francisco without a hippy van.

IMG_8421

IMG_8426

IMG_8427

I snapped this picture when I was driving by. Narrow house!

IMG_8429

But I wanted to end with another echium.

IMG_8424

You rarely see it pruned up like this.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house with the red door---is that Salvia leucantha in full bloom in front of it? That's a fall bloomer here.

chuck b. said...

Hi Pam, Salvia leucantha blooms on and off all year long in our mild climate. A lot of plants do in fact. They don't know whether they're coming or going.

Anonymous said...

Will jacaranda grow there? I saw it in bloom in the highlands of central Mexico last year and fell in love with it.

chuck b. said...

Jacaranda are supposed to like it here (and I would think in Texas too), but I can't think of where I last saw one... My sense is that people love that tree, but hate its mess.

Delphine said...

(Singing very bad) Let it beeeeeeee-es, let it beeeeeeeeeees...

Delphine said...

Is it fordidden to smoke on the outside ????????????????
(i've stopped smoking one month ago)

lisa said...

Love the tour...thanks!!

lisa said...

I took another look...is it just me, or does that echium look like a gigantic cannibis bud?

chuck b. said...

Lisa, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

But maybe you've stumbled on to a link between the Boraginaceae and the Cannabaceae noone's thought of before.

Anonymous said...

Dude, send me your email address so I can send you instructions for claiming your free shoes! Susan - harristakoma@erols.com