4/07/2007

After the plant sale,

I dropped by the Palo Alto Demonstration Garden, and made a return visit to the Woodside Library native garden.

IMG_9118

IMG_9060

IMG_9076

IMG_9080

You can pretty much count on me showing you pictures of Ribes.

IMG_9070

It's a young garden.

IMG_9083

Two of the Master Gardener ladies were here working, and one of them gave me a tour.

Apparently, this Salvia 'Bees Bliss' is becoming a real problem. Very smelly, and too eager to grow and take over. They have three patches of it.

IMG_9075

The fungus was an interest point.

IMG_9069

They'd been looking for a pile of dogshit for several weeks, but this is what they were smelling.

IMG_9067

For the most part, the place smelled great.

IMG_9085

The camera cannot interpret this rose for you. You really needed to see it with your own eyes.

IMG_9087

And smell it.

IMG_9088

IMG_9099

Blueberry bushes.

IMG_9097

Garden sign positivity. Excellent.

IMG_9111

"Japanese Rice Koshibikari"

IMG_9100

IMG_9094

Besides the demonstration garden, this place is really quite the agricultural operation.

IMG_9113

IMG_9114

Throughout, there's a sense of gearing up for spring.

IMG_9117

Gearing up at a leisurely pace, that is.

Note: the ostensible fog drifting through the air, isn't. It's smoke from a scrapyard fire. I thought it was just smoke from a lot of fireplaces. For awhile there yesterday, I thought Palo Alto was the new Los Angeles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous roses and a lovely garden. Thanks for another fun tour.

lisa said...

Nice tour! I was especially excited to see rice growing in a tub like that...I've been wanting to try growing rice by the river here, but I think the current is too fast-a tub is a great solution! Maybe wild rice would be good for me to try-it's a native plant in these parts, anyway.

chuck b. said...

Yeah, I'll have to drop by there again and check it out when the rice is growing. They have a whole set-up for it. I'll take more pictures. The Master Gardeners were verrry enthusiastic about their garden; I'm sure they'd be delighted to explain it all to me.

Annie in Austin said...

I'd like to experience that rose first hand, ChuckB - great color and looks perfect with the violet iris.

It was good to see the sign with positivity~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose