5/12/2007

My new bed at the pea patch

This is my new bed.

IMG_0837

It's the first one you see on the left when you walk in the gate.

IMG_0841

I'm keeping the two geraniums, alyssum, and the chrysanthemum.

IMG_0838

And I'm adding Feijoa sellowiana, Cerinthe major 'purpurascens', Madia elegans, Ipomoea alba, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, a nameless composite, and some vegetables: crooked neck squash, Japanese cucumbers, snap peas.

I added 4 sq. ft. of Soil Booster, planted, mulched with eucalyptus chips the city gave us, and just like that, it's done! You can see my IPM program for gophers. I drilled many dozens of holes into several 1 gallon cans for easy drainage and air transfer. Barrier methods are the best IPM.

IMG_0844

Except, after I took this picture, I added pea sticks. You can see them in this picture.

IMG_0848

The trellis is for cucumbers. The wind blows hard up here sometimes. Does the trellis look secure? It feels secure.

IMG_0849

Do cucumbers anywhere have a finer view?

1 comment:

lisa said...

My cucumbers are jealous of your cucumbers! (Actually I didn't plant any, I just wanted to say that). "Cucumber envy"...isn't that a Freudian thing? ;)