7/08/2007

Sunny day

IMG_3390

It was nice today so we went for a little drive down the peninsula.

This is from the car driving south on 280. The ocean, making its presence known.

IMG_3392

Some snapshots from my guru's garden in Menlo Park.

IMG_3397

IMG_3396

IMG_3400

IMG_3402

Eriogonum arborescens. I love this plant.

IMG_3405

This picture's a mess, but in the garden I was loving the light blue salvia flowers arching over the unmanaged gaura.

IMG_3407

The inflorescence belongs to Eriogonum giganteum.

IMG_3412

I appreciate the mixture of dry brown and moist green.

IMG_3426

Symphorocarpus mollis, creeping snowberry. I love this plant too.

IMG_3414

IMG_3418

Sigh. I wish I had a real-size yard for a garden, instead of my make-believe postage stamp.



Poor me.

7 comments:

lisa said...

Poor you, indeed! Realistically, where would you find the time to tend for a yard-full of plants? (I know, you'd likely MAKE time, same as me.) Creeping snowberry? I have a regular snowberry that I LOVE, gotta lookup the creeper and see if it's hardy for me...

chuck b. said...

Do you know the botanical name of your snowberry Lisa? Because I think some of them are Gaultheria but I know snowberry as Symphorocarpus. I'm curious if they're different, or got reclassified, or what.

Mine are new to me this year from root cuttings. I see little flower buds; I hope I get berries!

I love they way snowberry looks in the nature.

Christopher C. NC said...

You do wonderous things in your postage stamp. You have to garden with the space that you have, not the space you wish you could have.

chuck b. said...

Thank you! I certainly try.

lisa said...

Mine is symphorocarpus, I got it from Forestfarm:
http://www.forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=common&field-keywords=snowberry
I really like the berries, and the flowers are quite cute...seems they are pollinated by wasps, too. (I feel a post coming on...:)

Unknown said...

Chuck B., what is the first orange-flowering plant you show? A penstemon, or maybe a zauschneria? (I'm hoping you say zauschneria, because I planted 2 different types of that this year and in my mind they will grow up to look like that picture!)

chuck b. said...

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!

You are correct, Kim. The smaller, flutterier flowers around whatever that big central one is Zauschneria. Although I think they call it Epilobium now.

It should soon start to spread vigorously in your garden, if it hasn't already. VIGOROUSLY.