11/25/2006

Ticket to ride.

The cash-strapped city, hunting for ways to make more money, imposed a 67 percent fare increase on cable cars 14 months ago. That decision raised the cost of a single-ride ticket from $3 to $5. Revenue jumped 33 percent, to $21.5 million, when comparing the 12-month periods before and after the fare hike. But with that came public scorn.

"We have gotten some negative feedback," Hammons said.

Critics include Mayor Gavin Newsom, who said he feared that the higher fare would be a turnoff to visitors eager to ride an iconic cable car and to locals who don't buy monthly Fast Passes that allow unlimited rides on any city-operated bus, streetcar or cable car.

Link.

$5 to ride the freakin' cable car?! I had no idea. But I'm not a tourist, and I don't live in that part of town, so how would I know. All I can say is, that's crazy. The ride's not that fun. But if you're staying at a hotel downtown, and you want to get to Fisherman's Wharf or Pier 39 or Alcatraz, the cable car is the best way to go.

Whatever happens I don't want my not inconsiderable property taxes subsidizing cable car rides. I suspect most of that $5 ticket goes to paying the salaries of the cable car operators. I don't want to subsidize them either.

As far as I'm concerned the city can charge $20 for a cable car ride if people are willing to pay for it. If not, they can shut the cable cars down. Again.

They only brought them back the last time to generate tourist income.

Note: If you want to ride the cable car in San Francisco, get on at California and Market, not Powell and Market. You'll save yourself the indignity of standing in line behind 200 tourists.

No comments: