2/04/2007

My other big accomplishment this weekend.

Setting up a seedling station. Actually, I did this Friday night.

IMG_7223

Lilium pardalinum! A west coast native tiger lily. I put the seeds in a ziploc baggy in the fridge for three months mixed with 1:1 moistened perlite and vermiculite; then I spread all that on sterile mix and waited. It took at least two months before the cotyledon leaves to emerge; I think it'll be quite a while before the true leaves show. I'll keep a few and give the rest to the Botanical Garden. L. pardilinum have exacting soil requirements; people say they're hard to grow.

IMG_7230

I found a few more Echium wildprettii seeds to sow. These will go to the Botanical Garden for sure.

IMG_7233

And so will all these Banksia and Grevillia. They spend days inside on the heating pad and nights in the cool outdoors.

IMG_7235

I really needed this seedling set-up to bring some order to my gardening efforts in the garage.

IMG_7227

IMG_7229

1 comment:

lisa said...

Wow Chuck, you are a seedsman extrordinaire...I hope I have even half the sucess with mine once I get seedlings set up in the house! I have to be careful not to start too early...spring's a ways off up here!