3/03/2007

I know what you come here for.

IMG_7709

Ceanothus is blooming everywhere.

IMG_7710

You know where I'm taking you.

IMG_7713

You always know where to find me on Saturday morning.

IMG_7741

IMG_7740

IMG_7747

(Magnolia--very forgiving of bad prunes. Remember?)

IMG_7746

IMG_7748

IMG_7752

IMG_7737

IMG_7733

IMG_7757 IMG_7755

IMG_7719

Things are shaping up in the new Children's Garden.

IMG_7716

All kinds of shapes.

IMG_7717

IMG_7720

IMG_7718

IMG_7723

IMG_7725

She put a Gunnera next to the faucet, which is perfect. An awe-inspiring plant...the kids will love it.

Apparently, there's quite a bit more Gunnera to be had.

IMG_7701

Not exactly a water-wise choice for California. Unless you have a swamp in your backyard.

Which I don't, but sometimes it feels that way.

IMG_7852

The swamp of indecision. What am I going to do with all those pots?

The pinyon pines are down there.

IMG_7810

They arrived bare-root. I put them in a bucket of water for a couple days, and potted them up.

It's warm this weekend. I'm half-tempted to plant out my vegetable seedlings.

IMG_7779

But it's too soon. Maybe next week. If not next week, definitely the week after that. That pot with the blue rim is the future home of a pumpkin vine. One of the pinyons will go in the spot where that terracotta pot is now.

IMG_7836

Nearby...

IMG_7816

I don't have long to wait. The Geranium maderense inflorescence will be up soon.

IMG_7815

I guess I'll be done with this plant by June at the latest.

I got a second round of flowers on my white Ribes, and the Heuchera (or Tellima) growing through it will flower soon too. That'll be cool. It looks cool now.

IMG_7820

Hydrangea petiolaris will flower too. That's what that blurry thing is. The camera focused on the Pelargonium instead.

IMG_7823

I probably wouldn't have a hydrangea flower this soon without last year's disaster of a hanging basket falling on that plant and breaking it in half. I think stresses like that make plants flower. They think the gardener is going to kill them.

Over in the Italian corner...

IMG_7801

Someone's team colors.

IMG_7776

Elderberry popping up...

IMG_7795

The compost is coming along nicely. Scroll down a bit to compare it with a couple weeks ago.

IMG_7830

The pile got warm, but not hot. I love turning the compost. I turned it with a shovel for a year before I got a clue and bought a pitchfork. You know you're gardening for reals when you own a pitchfork.

3 comments:

lisa said...

"Greeen Acres is the place to be, faarm livin' is the life for me, land spreadin' out so far and wide, keep Manhattan just gimmie' that country-side..." Yee-hah!! ;)
Pitchforks are cool...feels more like a REAL tool, not like some wimpy little hoe!

Jenn said...

Blue and Gold? The UofM?

Blackswamp_Girl said...

You DO know what we come here for... and it's so nice of you to give it to us! ;)